Endometriosis Vs PCOS: Understanding the Differences And Ayurvedic Treatment
Endometriosis and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) are two common gynecological conditions that affect women of reproductive age.
Both conditions can cause significant discomfort and pain and negatively impact a woman's quality of life.
Although both conditions can cause menstrual irregularities and pelvic pain, they can cause a range of symptoms that can be confusing for those suffering from them.
They have distinct causes, symptoms, and treatment options.
In this post, we will compare the symptoms of PCOS and Endometriosis and discuss the available ayurveda treatment options for both conditions.
What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue lining the uterus grows outside the uterus.
This tissue can grow on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and other parts of the pelvic area.
Endometriosis can cause pain, infertility, and other symptoms.
Endometriosis affects between 6 and 10% women of reproductive age across the world.
Symptoms of Endometriosis:
- Painful periods
- Pain in the lower abdomen before and during menstruation
- Cramps for a week or two before menstruation and during menstruation
- Pain during or following sexual intercourse
- Pain with bowel movements
- Pelvic or low back pain that may occur at any time during menstrual cycle
- Heavy bleeding during menstrual cycle
Endometriosis Description – As per Ayurveda:
Wrong diet & Stressful lifestyle leads to imbalance in the Tridoshas and formation of Aam.
Vitiated Vata carries the Pitta and Kapha along with Aam into the pelvis region.
It causes the hormonal fluctuations during the menstrual cycle.
This leads to subsequent inflammatory response and fibrosis formation.
This causes displacement of endometrial tissue from uterus to pelvis and swelling in Reproductive channel i.e. growth of endometrial tissues into pelvis.
Causes of Endometriosis – Ayurveda Perspective:
- Excessive intake of salty, sour, heavy, pungent and fatty things.
- Fatty meat of domestic and aquatic animals
- Excessive intake of rice cooked with pulses (Krushara)
- Excessive intake of rice cocked with milk (Payasa)
- Excessive use of Shukta (Vinegar)
- Medications including some types of Antipsychotics, Cancer chemotherapy, Antidepressants, Blood pressure drugs, Allergy medications
- Stress- Mental stress can temporarily alter the functioning of your hypothalamus that controls the hormones that regulate your menstrual cycle. Ovulation and menstruation may stop as a result.
- Hormonal imbalance like Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), Thyroid malfunction
- Structural problems like Uterine scarring, Structural abnormality of the vagina
- Retrograde menstruation
- Transformation of peritoneal cells
- Embryonic cell transformation
- Surgical scar implantation
- Endometrial cell transport
- Immune system disorder
Ayurvedic Pathological Representation of Endometriosis: Causes of Endometriosis and Risk on Health because of Endometriosis
What is PCOS?
PCOS is a hormonal disorder in which the ovaries produce an excess of male hormones( androgen). and do not regularly release eggs.
This can cause multiple cysts to form on the ovaries, which can lead to irregular periods and fertility problems.
Symptoms of PCOS:
- Irregular periods
- Pain during sex
- Excess hair growth or Unwanted hair growth on face i.e. Hirsutism
- Weight gain
- Swelling on whole body
PCOS Description – As per Ayurveda:
Improper diet & lifestyle vitiate Tridoshas, especially Apan Vata and creates Aam.
These doshas vitiate into Artava vaha channel. Low circulation and low metabolic fire is seen in the channel.
These changes in the Artava vaha channels gives rise to Imbalance in Hypothalamic- Pituitary – Ovarian Axis and Hormonal Imbalance mainly in Androgen, FSH, LH & Insulin level.
This arrest Follicular growth and creates multiple immature follicles or cysts.
This result into irregular menses, weight gain etc. This is known as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
Causes of PCOS– Ayurveda Perspective:
- Vata imbalance can cause irregular menstrual cycles, ovarian cysts, and other PCOS symptoms.
- Kapha imbalance can cause weight gain, insulin resistance, and hormonal imbalances that lead to PCOS.
- Consuming excessive amounts of processed foods, refined sugar, and unhealthy fats can lead to an accumulation of toxins in the body, causing PCOS.
- Lack of physical activity or a sedentary lifestyle can lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, and hormonal imbalances that cause PCOS.
- Chronic Mental stress can cause hormonal imbalances
- Family history of PCOS may increase the risk of developing the condition.
- Exposure to environmental toxins such as pollution, pesticides, and plastics may disrupt the endocrine system, leading to PCOS.
Ayurvedic Pathological Representation of PCOS: Causes of PCOS and Risk on Health because of PCOS
What is the difference between Pcos and Endometriosis?
Endometriosis and PCOS are different in several ways.
Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue lining the uterus grows outside the uterus. PCOS is a hormonal disorder in which the ovaries produce an excess of male hormones.
Endometriosis can cause pain, while PCOS can cause a range of symptoms, including weight gain, hair growth, and irregular periods.
Both conditions can cause infertility.
Similarities between Endometriosis and PCOS:
Endometriosis and PCOS are similar in that they can both cause infertility. Both conditions can also cause pain, and both are more common in women of reproductive age.
Both the conditions have different underlying causes and require different treatments.
Women with endometriosis and PCOS may benefit from lifestyle changes such as weight loss and exercise.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Endometriosis Vs PCOS
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health that originated in India thousands of years ago. Ayurvedic treatments for endometriosis and PCOS focus on restoring balance to the body and reducing symptoms.
Here are some of the Ayurvedic treatments that are commonly used for these conditions:
Ayushakti Ayurved Treatment For Endometriosis and PCOS:
Dr Smita Naram and her team have spent decades researching, with the goal of developing new treatments and eventually finding a better cure. We have special therapies and Marma points which help to remove blockages and improve health.
Ayushakti’s medicines are herbal based, extract formulas which are developed and tested by our expert researchers. Our doctors will prescribe medicines according to your personal situation.
Our doctors will create an individual treatment plan for you. You'll learn how to control the symptoms and manage triggers factors. You will also learn how to improve your condition with lifestyle and dietary changes.
Ayurveda Detox Therapy for PCOS and Endometriosis:
Detox is the Ayurvedic cleansing process for body, mind and emotions that helps you to create holistic health and well-being in your life.
Digestive impurities such as mucus and metabolic toxins pile up in the veins, intestine, liver and joints.
They circulate throughout the entire body and block the system. Continuous build-up of these impurities can cause physical and mental disorders and disease.
A Detox helps to clean out toxins. Marma points help to rem