Common Viral Cough
Cough is a sudden explosive movement of air to clear material from respiratory airways. It helps to protect the lungs from foreign particles. Coughing can bring up phlegm, a mixture of mucus, debris and cells. If it becomes severe and chronic it can result in shortness of breath, hoarseness, dizziness and wheezing. Viral coughs are highly contagious, and spread quickly in any social group.
- Coughing , hoarseness of voice
- Irritation in the throat
- Fatigue and body aches
- A cold, if the infection has spread to the nose
Colds usually heal themselves within seven days, whether you take medication or not. Anything you take to suppress a cough is useless. In fact, suppression dries up the cough, leaving a dry cough which can last for months.
Mucus and coughing play an important role in clearing infections and particles in the respiratory system. The best thing we can do is to help our system to liquefy and expel the mucus easily, diminishing the seven days of inconvenience and suffering.
Follow this very safe and effective home remedy to clear the congestion and expel the mucus.
- ¼ tsp. Fresh ginger (adrak) juice
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric (haldi) powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic (lasoon) juice
- ½ tsp. Fresh basil (tulsi) leaf juice
- 2 tsp. Honey (madh)
- 1 pinch of Black pepper (kali mirch)powder
Mix all the ingredients well. Keep it refrigerated if you are making a large quantity and wish to use again. Remember to bring it to room temperature before using. Take 1½ tspn of this mixture four times a day. Children can safely take this cough mixture.
Diet & Lifestyle
plan for coughs, colds, breathlessness and allergies:
Foods you can take more:
- wheat, refined white flour, meat (especially red meat), refined sugar, deep fried foods. These foods decrease the digestive fire (Agni) and produce mucus (kapha )and toxins (ama).
- All sweet fruits, such as apples, pears, apricots, cherries, plums, sweet berries, fresh figs and dates, mangoes, papayas and pomegranates, which are very cold in nature & produce excessive mucus.
- Milk & milk products are also mucus producing so should be best avoided.
- Ice, cold foods and drinks are immediate “killers” of the digestive fire. They also produce excess mucus. So avoid them.
Cooked vegetables such as pumpkin (kaddu), squashes, marrow, courgette (turai), Ivy Gourd/ Gentleman’s Toes (Tendli), spinach (Palak),fenugreek leaves (Methi) , French beans (Phansi), bottle gourds (Dudhi), ridge gourds (Turai) , snake gourd (Padwal), smooth gourd (Galka), mange-tout, asparagus, fennel (Suva Bhaji), swedes, sweet corn, onions, carrots, parsnips beetroot, celery, chicory and leeks. Potatoes should only be eaten occasionally, with their skin.
Pulses are an essential part of a healthy diet. Mung and split Mung beans (green gram), Tuvar Dal (yellow lentils) and Masoor Dal (red lentils) are easy to digest, balancing and nourishing to the body. To get the full value from pulses they should be eaten along with grains (especially rice)
Grains including rice, oat, rye, maize (makai), millets (jawar , bajra nachani) amaranth (rajigira), quinoa , kamut, spelt, polenta; basically everything other than wheat& maida. Flours made from these grains and also from potatoes and buckwheat are excellent substitutes for “normal” flour.
Dried fruits like almonds, walnuts, apricots, figs, hazel nuts, dates and raisins can be eaten.
Occasionally you can have white meat like chicken, turkey, and fish (fresh water) occasionally.
You can replace dairy milk with almond milk, rice milk, soya milk or oat milk.
Lifestyle to follow:
Recommended Ayushakti Herbs
- Completely avoid smoking
- Avoid exposure to cold, winds, dust, fumes and other pollutants, or cover your head, ears and nose to protect yourself from these.
- Give your vocal cords a rest by talking less
- Drink warm water, not cold, throughout the day.
- Drink hot tea made of tulsi, ginger and mint leaves.
- Exercise and practice yoga as a daily routine, as it will improve and maintain the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood.
- Eat a well-balanced diet as mentioned above. This improves the body’s immunity, which is extremely important in all respiratory ailments.
- Practice the yogic breathing techniques of Bhastrika, Kapalbhati and Ujjayi Pranayamas for wet coughs and Shitali and Sitkari for dry coughs.
Divyaswas jivan 1 tablet each twice daily
Asthaloc 2 tablet each twice daily
Kaphano Syrup 1 teaspoon 3-4 times a day
These herbs have been proven to be effective for more than 27 years. They soothe sore throats and deal with coughs, liquefying and expelling mucus and clearing congestion.
To talk to an Ayushakti doctor, call now toll free no. 18002663001